Friday 17 January 2014

Printed notes: Good or Bad?

The lecture notes for Monday's  Lecture 2 (Combinatorial analysis) are now available. I will always make notes available shortly before the lecture.

You should already be able to do Questions 1, 2 on Examples Sheet 1. These questions require no more than use of the definition of classical probability.

I give you course notes so that you can dispense with some tedious copying-out, you can listen better, and you are guaranteed to have an accurate account. But I know there is a danger that this might induce complacency. Writing during a lecture helps to keep engaged, and so I hope you will still do some of that. I think Tom Korner makes a good point when he writes "many mathematicians find it easier to learn from lectures than from books ... We learn more by watching a house being built than by inspecting it afterwards." (See page 3 of his treatise In Praise of Lectures.) In Lecture 1 I told you how Probability IA can prepare you for a well-paid career, mentioned my treasonable conversation about the Lottery with HM, and emphasised repeatedly what I most wanted to you to remember: the definition of classical probability. Can you complete this sentence? Classical probability is concerned with situations in which ...

I hope you experience a process of a building of the theory of Probability and understand why Probability is subject I enjoy; I always intend to say some things that are not in the notes, and elaborate explanations of things that are.

For most of us, learning mathematics requires repeated exposure to ideas. So I hope that a combination of reading, listening, writing and solving problems will work well for you in this course.